Locksbottom lies in a slight hollow, or bottom, just over 12 miles south of London on the route to Tonbridge and less than a mile from Farnborough village, an important stopping place on the London road.  From at least the 17th century there has been a coaching inn here - now called Ye Olde Whyte Lion. The area alongside the main road in the northerrly direction is known as Farnborough Common.

But the name Locksbottom probably did not exist before the 1700s, and almost certainly derives its name from John Lock. He first appears in the Land and Window Tax records in 1766, when he was assessed for 14 lights (windows). His name also appears as assessor for Land Tax in 1767. He owned land in the area and lived in a farmhouse originally called Chalk Farm, but later called Farnborough Lodge. This still remains today just north of the inn. Over the years the name gained acceptance as a single word —Locksbottom. 

Its principle importance since the early nineteenth century has been as the location for Farnborough Workhouse, which evolved over time to become Farnborough Hospital.  This is now the location for the Princess Royal University Hospital.  The history of the workhouse and hospitals is described in further pages on this website, see the menu to the right.

Ordnance Survey Maps

Here are extracts from Ordnance Survey maps from 1809 through to 1950. They are copyright Ordnance Survey, and are downloads from the National Library of Scotland website  Click on images to enlarge.

One Inch to the mile, surveyed c 1805 published 1809
At this time the area was seemingly known as Brasted Green, with its later name Locksbottom after its resident John Lock not yet established.  The workhouse is not shown as it was not built until the 1830s.

Six Inches to a mile, surveyed 1862-1868, published 1870
By now the workhouse has been built alongside the main turnpike road. But otherwise the area is sparsely populated, given over mainly to farming.  Farnborough Lodge is marked adjacent to the crossroad.

Six Inches to a mile, revised 1908, published 1910
In this revised map, the workhouse has expanded considerably in size, but this apart, Lockbottom is little different from the first map above.

Six Inches to a mile, revised 1948, published 1950
The further forty years up to the postwar period have seen significant changes.  The Farnborough Park and Keston Park estates have by now been built, and as a consequence Farnborough Lodge now retains just a small garden plot. There has also been further new residential housing alongside Crofton Road leading north-east toward Orpington. The workhouse has evolved into a hospital and has expanded further.

Here is an image from Google maps, click for a dynamic Google maps enlargement

contact sitemap directions home home