Farnborough lies astride the ancient road from London to the Kent coast at Hastings.  It is about four and a half miles from Bromley and nine to Sevenoaks.

This part of the website has a number of articles about places near to Farnborough, but not in the Village itself.  These are mainly still within the ecclesiastical parish but sometimes a bit beyond.

This map shows the current boundaries for the parich of Farnborough, which includes Locksbottom and parts of Orpington in addition to the immediate village area.  Before 1938 it also included Green Street Green, as this is when the new parish of Green Street Green and Pratts Bottom was created, by taking areas from both Farnborough and Chelsfield Parishes.

The photos on this page are from the early years of the twentieth century, contrasted with the same locations seen today.  Click to enlarge.

At Locksbottom on the road toward Bromley was the Workhouse, which evolved to become Farnborough Hospital. Also close by was the triangular strip of land Tugmutton Common, a noted winter stopover point for Gypsy families.  They were eventually evicted from living on the Common, but many then moved into houses in the roads adjoing the Common.

Ye Olde Whyte Lion, Locksbotom

To the South-East is the old village of Green Street Green. The opening of Oak Brewery by Fox & Sons in 1836 was the first awakening of Green Street Green from a tiny hamlet. Village life centered round the brewery until 1909 when it closed down. During the First World War it was used briefly as a barracks. It became the Telcon Plastics factory site before the Second World War. This has now made way for a new housing estate, standing opposite the parade of shops in which Waitrose, arriving in the 1970s, is the main supermarket.

Fox's Brewery Green Street Green

To the south lies the High Elms estate. The Lubbock family have a long and enduring relationship with Farnborough, through the purchase of the estate in the early nineteenth century, and its subsequent expansion and development.

Old Hill (former Turnpike Road)

The turnpike road originally passed down Church Road in Farnborough then up Old Hill. Later, after the road down Farnborough Hill had been improved, the route changed to go through Green Street Green village. Farnborough bypass was opened in 1927.

Farnborough by-pass - opened 1927

Before and After the Second World War there was a major influx of new housing, particularly in what had been farmland between Farnborough and Orpington.  The first photo below dates from 1937.

Tubbenden Lane looking north-east toward Orpington

contact sitemap directions home home