TURNPIKE ROAD - FARNBOROUGH HILL - 1850s


The final change was the diversion of the route after Farnborough to use the High Street and Farnborough Hill down to Green Street Green; then continuing through that village to rejoin the original route at the end of Old Hill. 

This change took place in the late 1850s.  The road from Farnborough down to Green Street Green had existed before, but was not suitable for heavy coach traffic. Then labour of returned Crimean War veterans was used to even up the gradient from top to bottom of the hill, and give the road a hard surface. 

By then also the naturally marshy ground in Green Street Green had been drained, enabling the road to be improved. As a consequence Green Street Green had started to expand from what had previously been little more than a hamlet..

The revised route was easier for the horses than the previous one over Old Hill.  It also enabled businesses in Green Street Green to benefit from turnpike-related trade.


The new route started in the village, taking the path along the High Street to the left of the modern housing shown above, which is on the site of the old George and Dragon. The start of the new Farnborough Hill road is indicated by these modern roadsigns opposite Tubbenden Lane South.  The route then proceeds down Farnborough Hill, across Farnborough Bypass, built in 1927, to enter Green Street Green.


The route then runs through Green Street Green to rejoin the original route at today's roundabout.  In the photo below right the original route is in the distance where Old Hill emerges on the far side of the roundabout. Farnborough bypass is seen in the middle right where the van is joining, and the new route emerges from the right in the foreground having passed through Green Street Green.
 


contact sitemap directions home home